Writing stuff about stuff that happened or will eventually happen.

Friday, June 16, 2006

I know who I want to take me home...

In the two weeks that I've been in Nashville, I've gone completely broke, been fired by the US Navy, given my notice to cancel my 1 year lease on my apartment, played baby-sitting nurse for an epileptic pitbull, learned that Franklin TN is like the mecca of christian music (or even better, the Baskin Robbins of Christian Music stars - a new flavor for every day), and apparently I'm going to be putting out a record in a completely different way than I imagined.
Roy and I have finally been able to spend quality time together (though we were good friends before, we've actually been at each other's throats now, which always helps any friendship grow). ***
Wendy, Roy's wife, has made me feel simultaneously at home, comfortable, and totally home-sick as I envy the family that Roy has in her.
Rosco has new scars from his much bigger, older female friends.
And most significantly, I feel like I've been through music industry boot camp in this time around friends, hearing the back-stage goings-on of MuteMath (one of the hardest-working, most insanely talented bands on the planet), and learning from Roy about how to approach a song, a rhythm, a melody, an album, a vocal take, a chord voicing... all things that I thought I understood before, but was utterly wrong.

People, this record is going to kick ass.

Mine.

I don't know what to plan for in the next few months as so many of my plans have crumbled before my very eyes lately. But I can assure you of this - my life in every area - musically, professionally, relationally - is just beginning. I'm chalking all of this up as birthing pains, and I'm keeping my head down to get this crap finished. Thanks for you guys being supportive and patient. I'll be back online from ATX soon. Until then, go right now and search like crazy for the new Thom Yorke record, and bring a sack lunch, 'cause you'll be there for a while.

word.
D.
(singer for "Tino's Pinche Dozen")


*** So apparently, Roy claims to have never heard of "Closing Time" by Semisonic. I knew he was lying. I told him about a book by Jacob Slichter called "So you wanna be a rock n' roll star" about the life and death of the Dan Wilson band. He was interested in the story, but claimed to have never heard of this insanely over-played, severely abused hooky song that actually had nothing at all to do with "last call" at your neighborhood bar. Just thought I'd share. Roy's a great friend, but apparently a damn liar. (I love you, Roy).

No comments:

who?

My photo
New York, New York, United States

What's your favorite tune from Experiments In Drowning?

topics