Writing stuff about stuff that happened or will eventually happen.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

I want to be sedated.

Got some new ideas tracked for four more songs today. This is turning into more of a tracking/sampling/idea gathering trip than an actual studio/record an album trip. Roy is so great to work with in that he's relentlessly professional about music, and generous with his encouragement at the same time. He's got a great "producer" hat that he wears quite well.

We hit another bump in the road today. Mainly in that we tried to show a song to a friend (hi Bryan) and afterwards I felt dizzy and gross by how displeased I was with what I heard. I'm overly self-critical, but at this point, the record has already cost me too much to put it out half-assed. This process is gonna take a while, I think, so I may as well just get comfortable in recording mode, and get ready to start playing some shows to put ideas together.

By the way, this may be a good time to mention that I won't be in Austin for much longer. I'm going back this weekend to have a few yard sales to get rid of a bunch of things, then I'm moving in with a friend to save some money for a while before my eventual relocation to NYC sometime this fall. I'm hoping to make it sooner, but i'm learning not to make plans that I can't control, so unless I find a place to live for free in New York for a few months, I've got to take what I can get in A-town.

As for the tunes, I'm still encouraged in the sheer resolute dedication that Roy has and inspires in making this record sound great. I don't know if I need to warn my friends that this will sound almost unrecognizable from anything I've done before, but if you were expecting some sequal to my previous efforts, you may need to look elsewhere.

I'm rambling now, but I'm in a strange place somewhere between rugged determination, total exhaustion, and a slow wave of depression. I'll be fine. Don't flood my inbox with "hang in there" letters. I'm just saying, I've got a long road ahead of me. This record may become "raising david jackson".

BTW... check out my photo section. I'll explain later.
d.

PS - "Chuckfamous" is a brilliant musician who is so horribly underrated it's absolutely dispicable. Check out his profile, and his band "Club of the Sons" now.

No comments:

who?

My photo
New York, New York, United States

What's your favorite tune from Experiments In Drowning?

topics