Writing stuff about stuff that happened or will eventually happen.

Friday, August 04, 2006

... and the Fiery Furnaces.

A few of you have asked about my sudden "change" of name. "'David Jackson' is such a simple, rock star name, why would you change it?", you ask. And I will respond, "Google David Jackson." Six or seven years from now, when you're done reading the 132,000,000 results, come back and tell me what a unique and great name it is.

Don't get me wrong. I love my name. I think it's all the things you friends of mine have said it was. I don't expect or require that many of you call me "Meshach", but the simple fact is, if you google "Meshach Jackson", you get 12 results. Most of these (8, I think) are about this kid. Big shoes to fill, I know. But I'm up for the challenge.

My logic is simple. I don't expect you to know me only as Meshach Jackson from here on out (though I just bought the domain name: meshachjackson.com), I just expect you to associate ME with that name. When you hear of Meshach Jackson doing something great, unless that something great is winning a grade school spelling bee, or preaching at 11 (well... that one is a toss up), then you should, from here on out, think of me.

Here's the story behind it. My Dad, a southern Christian minister, wanted to have 3 boys. He wanted to name them "Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego" - like the story in the Bible. However, my mother talked him out of naming my older brother "Shadrach", stating the logical problem, "Do you really wanna bet on having 3 boys in a row?"

I have 4 brothers now, and 2 sisters (I was the second of three boys born in a row). My legal name is James David Joshua Jackson. I could've been named Meshach. I'm just fulfilling my dad's dream, that's all.

So, give me your opinions. Comment on how cheesy it is to change everything now. Leave me voicemails telling me to stop the nonsense.

Meshach is staying.
I like it.

I'll answer to my slave name, "David". Just like I've always answered to "James" at the DMV, hospital, court, and school. Just like I answered to "watermelon head" in Jr High. Just like I answered to "Muffin" at Camp Liberty.

But I will, from here on out, whenever I can remember, introduce myself as "Meshach" (MEE-SHACK).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that Sufjan Stevens went to Camp Liberty?

mikey32086 said...

you are amazing! simply amazing!

who?

My photo
New York, New York, United States

What's your favorite tune from Experiments In Drowning?

topics