Writing stuff about stuff that happened or will eventually happen.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

New records and the things Chris Martin and I have in common.

  1. So I found some new 12" vinyls I found for pretty cheap:

    Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express - Kraftwerk was a mysterious "80's band" before I started working on this record. Roy introduced me to them in the process of finding inspiration, and told me that my impression of them was off a whole decade. They sounded like a progressive 80's band, but they were doing all of that in the 70's. They were far ahead of their time, and the stuff I've heard so far... brilliant. For those of you who disagree with me on the issue, see the side note. I've got some heavy hitters on my side.

    Thom Yorke - The Eraser - I was one of the thousands of people who downloaded this entire record before it was released. What can I say, I'm a fan. However, once it was released, I paid for improprieties in full by getting it on 12" vinyl. i'm very excited.

    187 Soundtrack feat. Massive Attack, Method Man, and DJ Shadow - I actually had to look up the info for the film, as I mainly bought the record because of the DJ Shadow and Massive Attack tracks. The film looks cool too. It was made before Samuel L Jackson started really getting on my nerves. (first the star wars crap, then Freedomland, now Snakes on a Plane? Are you serious, dude?)

    Flight to The Moon - Actual transmissions from Appolo 11 and other flights surrounding it. Very kewl.

  2. SIDE NOTE: Coldplay loves Kraftwerk

    In 1981, German futuristic band "Kraftwerk" released an album called "Computer World" on which they had recorded a very hooky, but far ahead of their time song called "Computer Love". The song starts with a digital (MIDI, I think) hook that you may recognize from Coldplay's "Talk" on their "X+Y" album. The hook is just as central to the coldplay tune as it was 25 years before on the Kraftwerk tune. Great melodies never die.

    I was very proud of myself for having discovered this, until I found an article on the song and it's influence, which contained this quote from Coldplay frontman Chris Martin...

    "To begin with, they were a band I didn't quite get. Then suddenly one day it clicked and it was the best music I'd ever heard. They've totally influenced us on this record. (X+Y)

    I think if we're going to do anything after X+Y we're going to have to retreat behind a mask. I love the idea that they're Kraftwerk but nobody really knows who they are. They're like the original Gorillaz. Or the electronic Beatles."

    Amen, Chris. (Can I call you chris?). Amen.

No comments:

who?

My photo
New York, New York, United States

What's your favorite tune from Experiments In Drowning?

topics